Top 5 Items Bloggers need for Networking/Social Media Events:
When I attended my first Blogger conference I quickly learned the essential items that every Blogger should bring to any social media or networking event. To this day I pack my bag with the same items. If you have seen me at a conference you will know that I always end up with more bags than I come with but that’s part of the Blogger swag that’s inevitable.
I have over the last 3 years acquired all my equipment and perfected my methods of networking but my bag is always filled with the following 5 things:
1) Camera- Now, I didn’t start off with a fancy anything, as a matter of fact my first year or so my phone was my camera. Or, I would ask my Blogger friends to take pictures and then I would post their pics and give them credit. If you network correctly you end up with the best Blogging buddies, who never mind sharing pictures with you. Of course as the months went by I knew I needed a good camera. Honestly some small point and shoot take the best pictures ever. As well as a really good phone.
2) Cell Phone- It’s a no-brainer, if you are like me, your phone is your everything. I have easy access to all my social media apps. Quick access to recording both video and audio as well we taking quick pictures to post on several social media outlets as once. I also take a ton of notes on my phone. Plus you know people call and text me, by people I mean my Husband and kids. They wonder where I am all the time. Go figure.
3) I-Pad/Tablet (or laptop)- I have never been huge on laptops they are not my favorite computer, at all. I prefer a good old desktop or even my phone and I-pad serve the same purpose. My I-pad sometimes has better features and a bigger view than my cell-phone. Or, if I need to multitask and be on both devices at the same time it’s super handy. Since my I-pad has a keyboard it’s sometimes easier to take notes on it. It also takes great pictures and video. The extra device is always good for backup. Depending on the type of event I might not even use it but I like to take it with me. Just in case.
4) Promotional Items and Business cards- These items are so useful for people to get to know you and your blog. A simple business card can tell brands so much about you and what you write about, having them is a must! This year I invested in pens, best idea ever. I love having that extra items, allows other to know that you are serious about your blog and growing it. I feel like even if you are a small blog and just starting, but planning on making this your business creating promotional items is very helpful. I wouldn’t invest large amounts of money in the beginning. I purchased my pens in bulk for no more than $75.00. I look for deals everywhere.
5) Notebook- Yes, I bring at least 2 notebooks everywhere I go. Not only because I am obsessed with them but because I love to write. Sometimes, I just love my pen touching the paper. I am a bit nerdy. I used to have the best handwriting, these days technology has affected this. So, when I can I try to write with pen and paper and not rely so much on my phone or computer. Truly sometimes it’s fast and easier to simple open my notebooks and start writing as opposed to having to turn on a device and wait for it to load or open.
You will find that some travel lighter than others but at the end of the day being well prepared it better than not being prepared at all. Knowing the type of event and what the agenda is, is always good to find out before hand. I might take these items and only ever use my camera. Other times, I have regretted forgetting my camera or not bringing a notebook. Which is why I fill my bag with everything I need and keep them close by. You will learn what occasions call for a full bag versus a simple purse and cell-phone. Happy Networking and good luck!