Over the years, my family and I have made it a yearly tradition to visit The State Fair of Texas; also known as the home of Big Tex. As a family, we love the ambiance that the State Fair of Texas provides. The smell of fried corny dogs (not ‘corn dogs’ but ‘corny dogs’, there is a difference), the ‘carnies’ that show up every year, the tourists from all over the world, the livestock that has been raised by hard working kids, and the live music playing on the Chevy Main Stage are just a few reasons why we love coming back each and every year. Here are a few reasons why you should take your family to The State Fair of Texas.
1. This is one day out of the year that you will not be judged for how much you eat or what you eat in a public setting. The State Fair of Texas is all about turkey legs, corny dogs, funnel cakes and the latest creation in fried foods. This year the latest and greatest fried selections consist of Fried Sweet Texas, Deep Fried Texas Bluebonnet, Chicken Fried Loaded Baked Potato and so much more. So grab your stretchy pants, bring your antacid, and eat like no one is looking.
2. The State Fair of Texas provides quite a bit of opportunities for exhibitors of all ages to show their livestock which consists of rabbits, breeding sheep, breeding dairy cattle and more. This is a great way to support our youth and to have an opportunity to see some really awesome animals.
3. Are you shopping for a car? Do you like looking at the latest models from the world’s largest manufacturers? The State Fair of Texas has more than 400,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor exhibit space that features automotive companies that unveil new makes and models to the public. So if you are shopping around for a car or just like looking at new cars, this is a great reason to attend The State Fair of Texas.
4. The State Fair of Texas is located in Fair Park and inside Fair Park is the Cotton Bowl Stadium. This stadium is the historic home of the iconic Red River Rivalry, State Fair Classic and other matches. Every Saturday, The State Fair of Texas has thousands of fans come to the Cotton Bowl for college football. When there are two rival teams playing, expect the spirit at the fair to be big, the fan’s colors to swarm the crowd and the fair goers to yell friendly and fun chants at each other. Even if you are not a football fan, the site and scene makes for a fun day at the fair.
5. The Midway at The State Fair of Texas has over 70 rides from thrill rides, kiddy rides, midway games and the iconic 212 ft Texas Star Ferris Wheel! Even if you are not someone that enjoys the rides, the Midway is a great place to sit back and people watch.
These are just a handful of reasons why you should visit The State Fair of Texas. This fair offers so much to its fair goers that you can spend all day at the fair and still not experience everything that it offers, but before you go make sure to check their website to find out what activities are happening on the day you want to visit. Every day at the State Fair of Texas is full of adventures, fun and good eating.